Stratford-on-Avon District Council (‘the Council’) is proposing to introduce a chargeable garden waste service from 1 June 2020.
The proposal is outlined in the attached Cabinet report and is summarised below:
- The annual charge for the service will be £40.00 per wheeled bin or equivalent sacks. Additional bins/sacks will be charged at the same rate.
- A 5% discount in the first year will be offered to those residents who set up an annual Direct Debit for the service.
- A free compost bin will be offered to those residents who are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction and who choose not to participate in the service.
- These charges will be added to the Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule.
- The payment terms will be a single annual subscription fee payable in advance and non-refundable.
- The subscription year will be fixed from 1 June to 31 May (12-months).
- Bins/sacks will be emptied on a fortnightly basis throughout the year. Residents will be able to share collections with neighbours; however, the crews will only collect from those households with a valid subscription.
- If any resident, or another member of the household, who has signed up to the service is unable to present garden waste at the front boundary entrance of their property due to age, infirmity, disability or a medical condition, then the green bin/sack will be collected from an agreed point on the property, provided that access has been granted to the crew.
- Households will be able to use their existing bin(s). If residents do not currently have adequate bin provision, they may purchase new bins (as appropriate) for a one-off cost in accordance with the Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule. Surplus bins will be collected on request.
- New branded green sacks will be available for collection from Elizabeth House provided that the resident has paid for the service.
- Residents will be required to ‘opt-in’ to the service on an annual basis. They will receive a branded sticker/tag each year so that the crews are aware of the bins to be emptied.
- When an application for the service is received, the Council will notify the contractor and residents will receive the branded sticker/tag for display on each bin confirming their entitlement to the service for that year.
- Residents not wishing to buy into the service but wishing to receive a food waste collection will be provided with a food waste caddy, on request, free of charge (if they do not already have one). This caddy will then be presented on the scheduled garden waste collection day and the contents emptied and composted. The Council’s existing stock of caddies will be utilised during the initial transition to the service.
- In the event that the resident moves property, the service will be transferrable within Stratford-on-Avon District (after advising the Council of the address change) or to the new occupier.
- The Council will promote discounted home composting and implement a strict policy of no garden waste in the grey bin, with any persistent contamination breaches resulting in the non-collection of grey bins.
- The Council will work closely with Warwickshire County Council to minimise the amount of garden waste sent to the Coventry Energy from Waste plant.
Without this charge, the Council may have to consider discontinuing the existing garden waste service.
The closing date for responses is Tuesday 19 November 2019.